Sunday, October 28, 2012

REUSING


Hi everyone, it's Nhi. I'm sitting in the 4th flour of our school library, drinking a Grande mocha Frappuccino with whipped cream on top, and writing the report of my own small experiment. Recently, I've tried to save any kinds of plastic bags and boxes that I've used and think about a way to reuse them.
First, I save any plastic bags I've got from shopping in the malls, markets, grocery stores, and of course, drugstores, like Bartell. I always use those plastic bag to cover the inside part of trashcan in my room before throwing anything in there. Then, when the trashcan is filled up, I just need to wrap the plastic bag and throw it away. That's a super convenient and fast way to clean up a trashcan, right? By the way, those plastic bags can be placed in the kitchen so that everyone in your family can use it to store their food waste. Reusing plastic bags helps us to protect our environment and keep our houses clean at the same time.
I reuse not only plastic bags but also the plastic food storage box. Two weeks ago, my friend and I went to a temple to get some vegetarian foods. Actually, I’m not a vegetarian (I’m a fan of beef, pork ribs, chicken, salmon, and bacon), but I like eating vegetarian foods because they are tasty. The foods were stored in plastic boxes. When I finished my foods, I saved the boxes and used them to plant some apple seeds. I’ve never planted apple tree before, so basically, I have no experience, no plan, no research, and no guide! It’s like an experiment. So this is what I’ve got from the beginning: 

I didn’t buy the apple seeds. I bought apples from the market, ate them, and saved three apple seeds after eating my apples. I dug the soil from the garden, put it in the box, placed the seeds in, and watered them everyday. I waited for about 2 days, but the apple seeds didn’t grow, so I though my experiment was a failure. Then, on Monday night, when I just came back home from school, I intended to throw them away and plant some soybeans or green beans, but then I saw a tiny little green plant in the plastic box. 

So now, from one plastic box and three apple seeds from the beginning, I’ve got one little apple tree. By the way, I also started planting some soybeans around because I don’t want my little tree to be lonely :D. 

I’m going to reuse more plastic boxes or water bottles to grow more seeds so that I’ll have some tree pots to decorate my bedroom. If you use the water bottles to plant trees or flowers, make sure that you don’t close the bottle caps because your plants need oxygen to be alive too J. You can throw the caps into the recycle bin or keep them and think about how you are going to reuse them. I love reusing stuffs since it helps me to save money and keep our environment cleaner; and it’s really fun too! There are lots of things that you can reuse and there are many ways to reuse them. You just need to be creative and enjoy yourself when doing a good thing to protect our earth.
Goodbye everyone,
Have a wonderful weekend.


1 comment:

  1. In addition to Nhi's ideas, you can also reuse ziplock bags (if no meat was used in the bag) by washing them out with dishsoap and drying them on a dish rack. In my home, that's what we do and we haven't had to buy new bags for over 6 months! Ziplock bags are thicker and are easier to utilize for a variety of things.

    ReplyDelete